Mirage Source

Free ORPG making software.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Make sure your tutorials are kept up to date with the latest MS4 releases.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:22 pm 
Fox wrote:
Its got nothing to do with security,

how the fuck would the AI be client-side? I mean honestly, tell me, I'd like to know.

It COULD be client side, but it's very unsafe and would make the game, literally, different for every player even if they were standing next to each other. As their client would process the AI differently than the other player's.

Which would basically make it feel cheap and not so much as an online game, but an online social hangout.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:24 pm 
Persistant Poster

HOW, the FUCK, could the NPC AI be client side?

THINK

It isn't a case of 'their client would process it differently'. It-just-would-not-work.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:58 pm 
Persistant Poster

Lol rollin.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:11 pm 
Fox wrote:
HOW, the FUCK, could the NPC AI be client side?

THINK

It isn't a case of 'their client would process it differently'. It-just-would-not-work.

Yes, it would work. But it wouldn't work properly, as it wouldn't be the same for everyone.

Nothing is impossible, remember that and quit being stupid. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:23 pm 
Persistant Poster

No it fucking wouldn't, you quit being stupid.

How is:

1. Any player going to see any other players NPC's.

2. The server going to handle NPC deaths, spawns... in fact, fuck it I'm not even going into this. Seriously, without turning it into a p2p nightmare this just would-not-fucking-work.

Its impossible. Its not a case of it wouldn't be the same for anyone, so many methods just wouldn't... Grr.

think ._.

NPC AI goes client side. Ok, how is the server going to know who killed what NPC and who is getting what exp, how many NPC's are on the current map, which items are dropped, who's being hit by what.

K, that causes problems, so we have to then detach NPC's from the server entirely and make them a purely client-side affair. K, assuming we were fucking stupid enough to even humor this, we then have the problem that the server can't actually verify anything we tell it, be it which npc's we killed, how much exp we got, how many NPC's are on the map, what items they drop... it goes on and on.

Suddenly our game becomes a useless waste of space, and we think which fucking spastic decided this would work.

Oh it was Matt. I'm never listening to a black person in my life ever again.

Also, lots of things are impossible. Take object orientation's useless implementation in vb6.

Create one instance of an object... oh shit, it worked :O!

Create two instances of an object in vb6... Oh, you can't. Yay, that has a lot of point to it.

=P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:50 pm 
Pro

i see what your saying, and no, it would WORK, however as matt said, it would be very fucked up. people would see the npc's being in different places and such.

and nvm mind what i said, idk what i was thinking.

Ignore the inexperienced programmer!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:16 pm 
Fox wrote:
No it fucking wouldn't, you quit being stupid.

How is:

1. Any player going to see any other players NPC's.

2. The server going to handle NPC deaths, spawns... in fact, fuck it I'm not even going into this. Seriously, without turning it into a p2p nightmare this just would-not-fucking-work.

Its impossible. Its not a case of it wouldn't be the same for anyone, so many methods just wouldn't... Grr.

think ._.

NPC AI goes client side. Ok, how is the server going to know who killed what NPC and who is getting what exp, how many NPC's are on the current map, which items are dropped, who's being hit by what.

K, that causes problems, so we have to then detach NPC's from the server entirely and make them a purely client-side affair. K, assuming we were fucking stupid enough to even humor this, we then have the problem that the server can't actually verify anything we tell it, be it which npc's we killed, how much exp we got, how many NPC's are on the map, what items they drop... it goes on and on.

Suddenly our game becomes a useless waste of space, and we think which fucking spastic decided this would work.

Oh it was Matt. I'm never listening to a black person in my life ever again.

Also, lots of things are impossible. Take object orientation's useless implementation in vb6.

Create one instance of an object... oh shit, it worked :O!

Create two instances of an object in vb6... Oh, you can't. Yay, that has a lot of point to it.

=P

1) That's wtf I was talking about with it being all fucked up. Pay attention.
2) You could do it, if you know what you're doing. Of course, you would still have to perform checks with the server (That's where the security comes in, jackass). However, you can still handle most of the actual processing on the client, which would save a lot of effort and what not for the server.

It wouldn't be too hard to get it working. Not saying it's a good idea, but you're obviously too stupid to realize I never said it was. Way to go Fox. Way to insult me, calling me black (Which is getting really old, btw. It was funny the first few times, a year or two ago when it was started, give it up) and what not, in a lame, loser-ish attempt to hide your failure.

Bravo.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:44 pm 
Persistant Poster

No Matt, its bullshit. It won't work without p2p interaction which is completely detracting from the point.

And no amount of security will protect any system the instant you move a core algorithm to a client. It just won't.

You are talking out of your arse and my guess is just arguing for the sake of it, honestly man give yourself a shake.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:12 am 
Fox wrote:
No Matt, its bullshit. It won't work without p2p interaction which is completely detracting from the point.

And no amount of security will protect any system the instant you move a core algorithm to a client. It just won't.

You are talking out of your arse and my guess is just arguing for the sake of it, honestly man give yourself a shake.

When I have the time and don't have two projects going at once, I will do this to MS and show you it can be done. It's not practical, because there's a lot that you can change and it is possible to secure it, for the most part. Not perfectly, but it can be done.

But, when I get the time, I'll show it. I'll even release the source that I do this in.

How's that?

Now let this bullshit go.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:30 am 
Persistant Poster

No.

Code it so I can't hack it sideways.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:32 am 
Persistant Poster

Google Talk: hpmccloud@gmail.com
Pointless argue some more guys...

Who cares if the NPC AI is in the client?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:38 am 
Pro

apparently fox... :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:51 am 
Fox wrote:
No.

Code it so I can't hack it sideways.

Why? I never claimed it wouldn't be hackable. See, you're taking this out of context, and in your head you think I said something that I didn't. You're basically arguing with yourself here.

I'm not gonna do something that I never said anything about. I was trying to explain it, but you're too nazi to believe anything anyone says. Why don't you go program in coffee and just ignore this?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:24 pm 
Pro

NPC Ai for firecaster is both clientside and serverside to reduce the packets sent. Is that bad?

Labmonkey gets mod, everybody loves him, people find out his code sucks, he gets demoted, then banned, then he makes an engine called Chaos Engine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:51 am 
Pro

depends, does it work well? and is easily (or at all) exploitable?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:56 pm 
Pro

Google Talk: blackagesbr@gmail.com
AI CAN be at the client, but it's just not a smart decision.
The client handles a few npcs, then send the data to the server, and the SERVER redistribute the information for every client. It CAN be done, but it's just the dumbest thing I've ever seen, because it is TOTALLY UNSAFE.

GameBoy wrote:
www.FreeMoney.com
I admit I clicked. I immediately closed upon realizing there was, in fact, no free money.
Robin wrote:
I love you and your computer.Marry me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:59 pm 
Dragoons Master wrote:
The client handles a few npcs, then send the data to the server, and the SERVER redistribute the information for every client. It CAN be done, but it's just the dumbest thing I've ever seen, because it is TOTALLY UNSAFE.

That's exactly what I was saying. Lol.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:56 pm 
Pro

Ah, yea I don't do things THAT dumb lol. I have them running parrallel, and then the server checks. But I am gana change it now that im tilebased.

Labmonkey gets mod, everybody loves him, people find out his code sucks, he gets demoted, then banned, then he makes an engine called Chaos Engine.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:18 pm 
Persistant Poster

Matt wrote:
Dragoons Master wrote:

Because multiple clients wouldn't cause any conflictions.

Honestly, people of MS, when did we turn into a bunch of fucking idiots?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:33 pm 
Fox wrote:
Matt wrote:
Dragoons Master wrote:

Because multiple clients wouldn't cause any conflictions.

Honestly, people of MS, when did we turn into a bunch of fucking idiots?

When did YOU? I've been saying that they would cause problems. Everything would be all out of sync and shit. Focus Fox. Maybe you should read this thread again.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:47 pm 
Persistant Poster

Or maybe I should just give up caring.

Fuck you, and fuck everyone in this pedantic as hell bullshit argument. No viable system would even contemplate for half a second such a rediculous idea, and the fact you all argue for the sake of arguing against all better judgement just to prove some pathetic point that you are of course right and I am stupid to counter argue is testamant to what a wasteland of aggressive none-constructive assholes these forums are now so warmly embracing.

I cba with this bullshit.

GLHF

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:48 pm 
Persistant Poster

NO U

So we've all come to a conclusion, after 2 pages of debate, that the AI can possibly, not logically, be in the client, but nobody is ever going to do that.

Good game guys. I'm glad we're not solving things like world hunger or something.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:50 pm 
GIAKEN wrote:
NO U

So we've all come to a conclusion, after 2 pages of debate, that the AI can possibly, not logically, be in the client, but nobody is ever going to do that.

Good game guys. I'm glad we're not solving things like world hunger or something.

Pretty much. Even though it was lost on Fox. He's not grasping the entire point of the debate/argument at all. We're just saying it can be done, not saying it's smart to do so. Lol.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:49 am 
Pro

who cares about world hunger? :?

and, yes, we also proved im an idiot...

shit happens...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:17 am 
Persistant Poster

I'm just saying instead of solving bigger problems we're messing with shit that doesn't matter...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next