Mirage Source

Free ORPG making software.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fallen Phoenix Online
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:45 am 
Knowledgeable

Fallen Phoenix Online is an ORPG based on the world in the Harry Potter books. You start life as a student, freshly arriving at Hogwarts. From this you go to the Great Hall, ask the Sorting Hat to "sort" your into your house, then, simply, do whatever you want!

The game is powered by the old 3.0.7 Mirage Source, but with many many modifications added, including a powerful scripting sub-engine named SayScript. This script control allows players to say certain things in certain places to execute code on the server. You will also see the spells you cast hitting the target, and (when I finish the script) go towards the target.

There are currently only around 50-60 maps, but each map is full of stuff to do. Some of the main features in the game:
Be a student, prefect, head boy/girl or even a teacher, deputy head, head teacher or a governor at Hogwarts.
Cast all the spells used in the book and many more that are being added.
Visit all of the locations around the world used in the books, including:- Hogwarts, Diagon Alley, Gringots (where you have your own vault) and many more.
Challenge people to duels for money, pride, or just for the hell of it (you can set if it's a friendly duel, i.e. don't die)
Work for the Ministry of Magic, hunting down PKers, and receiving an amount of bounty per kill/jailing.
Or, if you fancy, work against the ministry with the post-Deathly Hallows Death Eaters (where, instead of having a ministry which has places to sell items etc, you have your own underground city where you can buy from the thieves of the world)
Build and manufacture wands, potions or herbs and be paid by the shops for each unit created (i.e. collect wood, build broom handle, etc)
Own your own pet/s! You can have a pet follow you around everywhere you go which, not only is a richness symbol, but also protects you from damage in some cases! (i.e. the pygmy dragon will add a damage bonus of 10hp dmg of fire for EVERY spell you cast! including in PVP combat!)
Hotkeys! No longer will you have to type each spell over and over again in combat. (You can /hotkeys up to 9 spells and instead of typing the whole spell, you just press the number, a little box at the bottom of the game screen will come up saying what spell's set to that hotkey, and you just press Enter!)

There are many more features in this game, and many more are being built.

The game is currently at version 1.8b, by 2.0 there will hopefully be microphone support, so you no longer have to type spells or use the hotkeys, you can just say the spell name into the mic and it will cast it for you.

The homepage is www.fallenphoenix.org . However, this page is currently not complete (as you can probably see), but it will be operational soon enough.

I am also looking for staff to help run the game including GMs, Mappers, Community Support. (I can do the programming, I just don't have the time to do the maps etc at the same time). If you're interested please contact me though MSN (gavin_2_2000 at hotmail dot com) (please also mention that it's about FPO, or I'll be confused :P).

Thanks for reading and I hope to see you all in the game soon :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:46 pm 

Can I be Hermione?

No, seriously!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:08 pm 
Knowledgeable

Winifred wrote:
Can I be Hermione?

No, seriously!!

if you want I can reserve that name for you, so yeh, you could be Hermione ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:17 am 

Gah, it logged me out when I tried to post my big reply! Anyways, I'm too lazy to attempt to retry it, so here are basic points:

-Games based on popular franchise = recipe for failure (but despite that, yours sounds really interesting lol)

-What additional info can you release at this time, if any?
~Level up progression, or more spell/skill-based progression, where everyone is on even grounds, and strategy reigns supreme?
~More group-oriented, or is solo entirely possible?
~Target audience: mostly roleplayers who want to immerse themselves in HP setting, or is there sufficient endgame content planned for the more hardcore gamers?

-Awesome microphone idea haha.

That's basically the gist of it; any additional information would be great. Also, how far into development is the game? The site was... generally unhelpful, as you previously mentioned lol.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:58 pm 
Community Leader

Google Talk: Darunada@gmail.com
That's why we copy to notepad before we submit long posts ;)

I am a professional software developer in Salt Lake City, UT.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:31 pm 
Community Leader

Google Talk: johansson_tk@hotmail.com
Lea wrote:
That's why we copy to notepad before we submit long posts ;)

I only copy it, I never paste it to anything.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:16 pm 
Knowledgeable

Winifred wrote:
Gah, it logged me out when I tried to post my big reply! Anyways, I'm too lazy to attempt to retry it, so here are basic points:

-Games based on popular franchise = recipe for failure (but despite that, yours sounds really interesting lol)

-What additional info can you release at this time, if any?
~Level up progression, or more spell/skill-based progression, where everyone is on even grounds, and strategy reigns supreme?
~More group-oriented, or is solo entirely possible?
~Target audience: mostly roleplayers who want to immerse themselves in HP setting, or is there sufficient endgame content planned for the more hardcore gamers?

-Awesome microphone idea haha.

That's basically the gist of it; any additional information would be great. Also, how far into development is the game? The site was... generally unhelpful, as you previously mentioned lol.

I've tried to make my game a thing on it's own, thus it's set after the books and all that jazz, and there's way more locations than are mentioned in the books (I have a world map all drawn up in my head lol, and some on paper, including hunting areas etc).

The game should be out tomorrow if all goes to plan, 1.8 is looking pretty much sorted, just a few scripting tweaks to make. And also I have to make 3 more common rooms, as well as other small things. I also have to sort the currency out (as there's 3 separate units... it's a pain to calculate it lol).

Levelling up can be done in many ways. Quests give exp, hunting monsters gives you exp. But the major win of this is that the game isn't based on just hunting level, you get exp for each spell you cast, which goes to your Magic Level, which is needed to cast more powerful spells, and more fun spells (such as transfiguration and teleportation/apparition), as well as skill levels such as Cooking Magic and so on. I've tried to make the game something the hardcore roleplayers can enjoy without falling too far behind, and something the "got to get highest level" players can enjoy too, it's a tough balance but I think I've got it as close as possible.

There is a group orientation, even in the school there will be a point system (which is almost complete), where you earn your house points, and at the end of the week ('til 2.0 it'll be every day to ensure it works fine) the house with the most points gets a random reward from a table of rewards, this could be anything from Double Damage on spells for EVERY person in that house for the week, or it could be items (which you collect from the chest in your common room). So the game really does rely on teamwork to progress fully.

Like I said about the whole good-evil thing, you can be whoever you want, however, you have to have killed X amount of people before you have the chance of using the killing curse (which uses your entire MP and 1/4 of your HP, so it's a dangerous choice to make). And also, you can't be killed in the school, it's a sort of non-pvp introduction to the game for players, so they can get used to the game in a safe place... BUT!!! there's an arena inside the school where you can duel to your heart's content without fear of losing items etc :). I've put a lot of time into working out what would be the best way of making the game, and a non-pvp school introduction (which you can leave at any time, but it's advisable to do all the school quests for spells, or you won't know the extra spells), where players can decide to stay and not leave, where they can progress through the ranks of the school.

It's hard to describe how much is in this game that, until I get mappers, can't be used.

The microphone idea came to me suddenly when I was in university being lectured on the different types of microphones, basically the thing will let you record your own voice macros for your hotkeyed spells, I'm working on small test versions of it, and up to now I've been able to record a macro that lets me (most of the time lol) make my GM char say "LOL" on screen :D. Once voice recognition's done I'll probably upload a tutorial here for it.

Thanks for the interest :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:42 am 

Such a detailed response! (I hope you copied that before submitting >_>)

I can't wait to try it out in the next week or so, hopefully. :) It's been a long time since I've seen a project that seems so promising, so best of luck to you and your game. Good mappers can be such a pain to find, and most of the time they are trying to work on their own games. Try not to let it hold you back, at any rate. Decent maps can later be replaced with AWESOME maps when you find the right staff members.

One negative aspect of using spells to gain exp is that people have a tendency to cheat those kinds of systems. I know that I used to just tape down my hotkey and AFK when I played FlyFF. lol So that might be a problem unless you make it literally impossible to cheat. Also, the killing curse sounds like it could be abused lmao. Is it an instant kill, a chance of greatly reducing enemy HP, or just a powerful spell that does quite a bit of damage?

It's nice to see so many goals for players to work towards, even on a weekly basis. Congratulations on planning out a game that sounds like so much more than a grind-fest lol. If I didn't make the most hideous maps known to mankind, I would definitely apply! Hopefully some good mappers will recognize the promise your game has.

*COPY*

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:40 am 
Knowledgeable

Winifred wrote:
Such a detailed response! (I hope you copied that before submitting >_>)

I can't wait to try it out in the next week or so, hopefully. :) It's been a long time since I've seen a project that seems so promising, so best of luck to you and your game. Good mappers can be such a pain to find, and most of the time they are trying to work on their own games. Try not to let it hold you back, at any rate. Decent maps can later be replaced with AWESOME maps when you find the right staff members.

One negative aspect of using spells to gain exp is that people have a tendency to cheat those kinds of systems. I know that I used to just tape down my hotkey and AFK when I played FlyFF. lol So that might be a problem unless you make it literally impossible to cheat. Also, the killing curse sounds like it could be abused lmao. Is it an instant kill, a chance of greatly reducing enemy HP, or just a powerful spell that does quite a bit of damage?

It's nice to see so many goals for players to work towards, even on a weekly basis. Congratulations on planning out a game that sounds like so much more than a grind-fest lol. If I didn't make the most hideous maps known to mankind, I would definitely apply! Hopefully some good mappers will recognize the promise your game has.

*COPY*

*gets his ctrl & c keys ready just in case lol*

I did, don't worry, I wasn't wasting all that time for nothing haha. Thanks, I have a couple of people training to map at the moment, and their work looks pretty promising already, but until they're good enough I'm doing the mapping myself. There's just so much I need to do, it's constant hard work lol.

Yeh, if you stand still and cast spells for more than 10 minutes you get kicked, already thought about that cheating aspect, it's much easier to stop at any rate. The killing curse is part of the books and film so I don't want to get rid of it. It's an instant kill, but I've made it so that if anyone uses it they're pretty much screwed unless they're alone when they make the kill. Anyway, once someone uses one of those spells, it sends a message to the online Aurors with what spell, by who, and what map (name) they're on. High level players can warp to certain main locations, so once they find them they've got no chance lol.

Thanks. I hate games which are just point-click-kill-repeat, it's a tired cycle that EVERY game (well, the major players in the online game market) have, with little else to do. What else is there to do on WoW? Tibia? Runescape? The other generic Korean rip-offs of WoW etc. Nothing really. They all offer their "own little twist" over the other games, but I'm working towards a game people can just play and enjoy, rather than fork out £8 a month to click around a screen on.

Other features I forgot to say about:
- PMs are ALL sent by owls, so there's a slight delay in the sending. Also there's a fee to send owls unless you own one, and until you do you'll have to go to a post office. Owls cost about 10g, which it will probably take about 2-3 hours hunting for a level 10 to get, or any level as a merchant.
- Pets do offer other benefits, which include, if you have a Thestral, the ability to fly to locations.

I'll post more soon, for some reason my keyboard's playing up... hmmmm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:13 am 
Knowledgeable

sorry for the delays, the game should be released during this week, just been really busy with uni work etc...

but have completed some server-side improvements, which should make the game run a little smoother :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:06 pm 
Knowledgeable

hahaha my pc died, lost almost everything, but thankfully FPO was stored (in it's entirety) on another hard drive, so that's intact, i just have to re-install vb6 etc... damn pc!!

to keep you going, here's a lil signature image thing that's gonna show your levels etc

http://www.fallenphoenix.org/imagething ... r=username

replace username with your char name :) (it's just a temp thing, doesn't say your true level etc lol)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:16 am 
Regular

Sounds good when is your forum going to be up? :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:43 am 
Looks soooooo odd seeing another game being called "FPO".. Lol.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:41 am 
Knowledgeable

haha well this FPO's been going since... erm....around 7 years ago i think.... i lose track lol :P

forum will be up when I get round to it... been very busy recently, and i'm hungover today...

here's latest news copy&paste from homepage:
Quote:
I've finished working on what I needed to do for 1.8. However, another code is all but finished and it's a nice improvement, so I'm going to postpone the release until this is done (which shouldn't take more than a couple of hours, don't worry).

Expected release day: Friday (21st).

I don't want to spoil the new update by giving away what's been added, because it's pretty funky and will surprise a fair few of you. It has been planned since Fallen Phoenix Online 0.1 but I've never had the time to add it to a release, and now seems the perfect time to implement it.

Another small update is the signature creator, which will generate your player-signature for use on forums et cetera, it will auto-update all of the signatures at midnight GMT every day, so please be patient. However, for now I may make it twice-daily, just so I know it's working smoothly and I can then get to work on other things.

Also, the first job within FPO will be available in 1.8. That is wand making. You will be able to (for the first time) be able to enter the grounds of Hogwarts and pick branches from the fringe of the woods. You can then go to a certain room in the castle and produce the wands, which are then shipped off to Ollivanders.
For now you will only be able to make Basic Wands, but when/if you leave the school you will be able to make even more powerful wands (which add attack bonuses).

I hope you like 1.8. A lot of work has been put into making this.

Thanks

Tosuxo/Gavwando

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:02 pm 
Tosuxo wrote:
haha well this FPO's been going since... erm....around 7 years ago i think.... i lose track lol :P

forum will be up when I get round to it... been very busy recently, and i'm hungover today...

here's latest news copy&paste from homepage:
Quote:
I've finished working on what I needed to do for 1.8. However, another code is all but finished and it's a nice improvement, so I'm going to postpone the release until this is done (which shouldn't take more than a couple of hours, don't worry).

Expected release day: Friday (21st).

I don't want to spoil the new update by giving away what's been added, because it's pretty funky and will surprise a fair few of you. It has been planned since Fallen Phoenix Online 0.1 but I've never had the time to add it to a release, and now seems the perfect time to implement it.

Another small update is the signature creator, which will generate your player-signature for use on forums et cetera, it will auto-update all of the signatures at midnight GMT every day, so please be patient. However, for now I may make it twice-daily, just so I know it's working smoothly and I can then get to work on other things.

Also, the first job within FPO will be available in 1.8. That is wand making. You will be able to (for the first time) be able to enter the grounds of Hogwarts and pick branches from the fringe of the woods. You can then go to a certain room in the castle and produce the wands, which are then shipped off to Ollivanders.
For now you will only be able to make Basic Wands, but when/if you leave the school you will be able to make even more powerful wands (which add attack bonuses).

I hope you like 1.8. A lot of work has been put into making this.

Thanks

Tosuxo/Gavwando

I started the concept of my FPO around 10 years ago, with a pen and paper campaign in DnD. Then it moved onto being the basis for a pen and paper game called FADE. Then when Verrigan and I were talkin', we decided to go with False Prophet Online.

:D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:49 pm 
Knowledgeable

Perfekt wrote:

I started the concept of my FPO around 10 years ago, with a pen and paper campaign in DnD. Then it moved onto being the basis for a pen and paper game called FADE. Then when Verrigan and I were talkin', we decided to go with False Prophet Online.

meh... you win :( haha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:16 pm 
Tosuxo wrote:
Perfekt wrote:

meh... you win :( haha

Eh. I wasn't tryna win. Just pointin' out some facts. ^_^

Hope your game does well though. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:40 pm 
Knowledgeable

Perfekt wrote:
Eh. I wasn't tryna win. Just pointin' out some facts. ^_^

Hope your game does well though. Good luck.

thanks, i'm gonna need it lol, i've just become addicted to Left4Dead (seriously, play it!!!), so it's hard to work my time around uni, l4d, general recovering from the night before, or recovering from lectures, and THEN programming lol

but i've only got a little bit left to do, so it should be done in time :)

tomorrow's the big day people, i hope you're gonna be online to make the online players record :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:39 pm 
Persistant Poster

Google Talk: rs.ruggles@gmail.com
L4D is bomb. I can't afford it yet though :(

Yeah man, I'll definitely try your game out. If there's two things I enjoy in this world, it's Zombies and Harry Potter.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:36 pm 
Knowledgeable

Rian wrote:
L4D is bomb. I can't afford it yet though :(

Yeah man, I'll definitely try your game out. If there's two things I enjoy in this world, it's Zombies and Harry Potter.

funny you should mention that... I'm adding Zombies eventually hahaha

and if you ever fancy a game when you get it my name on Steam is "Gavwando" :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:16 am 
Submit-Happy

You're adding zombies to a Harry Potter game..?

Jacob:
the 4 people that know how are lazy
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:20 am 
Knowledgeable

Why wouldn't he? They were all over the movies, didn't you see them O.o?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:04 am 
Knowledgeable

well in the 6th and 7th book there were Inferi, which were dead bodies brought back to life... so in theory they were like zombies, so why not add actual zombies?

they'll be way later on into the levels so not for a newbie to hunt, probs for players level 50~~

sadly it's not online tonight, had some personal issues to deal with, but since that's sorted now I'm gonna finish it off tonight, then it'll be on tomorrow when I get out of bed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:38 pm 
Knowledgeable

Quote:
Well the time has finally come. FPO 1.8 is actually finished at last.

The major improvement is Field Spells, which will cast a field of either:
Fire, Water, Energy or Earth (subject to change... only Fire available for now).

Eventually these will be expanded to casting such as healing squares, which will improve the healing speed of the player standing on it.

The Fire Field will, by 1.8.1, actually damage the player for burn damage if they stand on it, and for a short time after (unless they cast a spell to extinguish the flames from themselves, which has not been added yet, but will soon).

Also, for now, just so I can get the game out, the fire field is not animated, and is only the base fire spell graphic. This will also be changed for 1.8.1.

Other improvements since 1.7 are mainly spells and maps. Jobs are also added, but only the wandmaking job is available (but still needs to be mapped, but will be mapped this evening).

There is also some website integration in the works, which will be finished, hopefully, by Monday. Stay tuned for more information.

To download the game client, please go to:
http://www.fallenphoenix.org/fpo.zip (you will need WinZip or WinRar, or similar)

If you have problems with the DLL and OCX files, please run the included DLLRegister.exe.

And just a tip to new players, to get your house and wand, please go north from the first map, then up the stairs, then go right at the next map, stand at the stool in front of the candles. Then just say "sort" and you will be sorted.

Enjoy :)

Hope to see you all in game :)

I'll be on Dr Gavwando if anything doing the maps for the rest of the school. :P

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:40 pm 
Persistant Poster

Google Talk: rs.ruggles@gmail.com
When I log in it tells me the client is out of date.