Mirage Source

Free ORPG making software.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:22 pm 
Persistant Poster

If you want to maintain your code, you need to stay away from GUI editors - that means no netbeans :'(

Satisfied with my networking code I've turned my attention to learning to design and create GUIs in Java... I've worked with them before but never actually tried to write my own from scratch... as with all things Java, its just a battle with learning the Swing API inside out. Something I decided to do tonight!

Tadaa. Something that would take 30 seconds in vb6 has taken me an hour... at least I can take some solace in the fact its done 'properly' lol. Anyway, I didn't make this thread to show off what is essentially the most pointless GUI ever, I wondered if any of you guys have ever created GUIs using code in languages that are not visual basic. Was it hard? Do you prefer it that way?

Having given it a little bash this evening, Its full steam ahead for me now. I personally, actually, quite like doing it this way!

Fox

Edit: Woopse I took the screenshot of my entire desktop.. oh well xD

Attachments:
woot.png
woot.png [ 399.49 KiB | Viewed 10566 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:29 pm 
Knowledgeable

Does making one in Visual C++ count? xD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:32 pm 
Persistant Poster

Google Talk: FAProductions
JokeofWeek wrote:

Did you make it through the code and not the gui?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:36 pm 
Knowledgeable

Matt wrote:
JokeofWeek wrote:

Did you make it through the code and not the gui?

Neh xD Ah, just re-read his question. Then no I did not xD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:59 am 
Pro

I think c++ sucks for native GUI. but if you use a good GUI library then it can be fun.

Then again, maybe its just cause windows sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:22 am 
Persistant Poster

A joyous day of Swing. LayoutManagers overriding shit are a pain in the fucking arse.

I think this is acceptable enough for the "the coder is a noob and isn't sure what he's doing" phase of development so time to push onwards with listners, actionevents and the modelViewController principle... hmm.

Its quite fun, really....

Edit: Arse, you get my desktop again too ._.

Attachments:
GUI2.png
GUI2.png [ 376.17 KiB | Viewed 10514 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:27 am 
Persistant Poster

Another post...

Just to show I've done it 'properly' I guess. If I turn resizeable to true and drag it wide this is what happens. It also can't go any smaller than what it should look like, not that this matters since its size is locked but bleh - I've put blood sweat and tears into it damn you :'(

Attachments:
GUImental.png
GUImental.png [ 427.25 KiB | Viewed 10514 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:04 pm 
Pro

gui in java with swing is epicly easy. Java is great for rapid development.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:07 pm 
Persistant Poster

Google Talk: infectiousbyte@gmail.com
Wow, that's actually pretty cool. I've been thinking about learning Java, looks pretty interesting. Is it a difficult language?

GIAKEN wrote:
I can't take these huge penises anymore! All that's left is shame! And blood

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:11 am 
Persistant Poster

Nean wrote:
Wow, that's actually pretty cool. I've been thinking about learning Java, looks pretty interesting. Is it a difficult language?

Not at all, I learnt enough to work quite quickly now with Swing (The GUI API) in about 4 hours of playing with it. Java is a really rapid language to pick up one you have the "OH THATS HOW OBJECT ORIENTATION IS AWESOME" moment :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:18 pm 
Pro

I've been making all my gui's with java2d... I heard swing was a pain and never bothered. Is it worth it?

Labmonkey gets mod, everybody loves him, people find out his code sucks, he gets demoted, then banned, then he makes an engine called Chaos Engine.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:21 pm 
Persistant Poster

Depends I guess. Can I see an example of your Java2D gui? How well does it work with listeners and stuff?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:21 am 
Mirage Source Lover

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffuserhttp://semiasphalticflux.rusemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchuckинфоtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:09 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

Dies252.5BettCHAPTimeRaidBlueLoveWCNoMikaGarlCurvTraigayaJakoEnidIntrTescPegaAtlaZoneOlgaCham
FyodVeraAnwoDISCRougGeorExpeMateSlowLeonMaryBaccConcRobeAndrDolcPantSkinCamaGreeElanTimoRene
PhilPushSisiDAIWBernWindRootRoxyNoraLievAuguSelaJeweOsirSelaNikiSilvMaurSelaMatiJuliSieLCome
PushClibFELIArthFallWillJoseZoneIndeLionZoneZoneLuigGarrPullZoneZoneDokoStepFranZoneHeleWill
AlanYvesYankPatrPaulShanChetRamaRobeZoneDolbFredGeorVIIIClauZoneZoneFranCafediamZoneRegiHarm
DesmFragSilvFLASDAXXOZONMielShinwwwbSonyBookPolaAfroChicAnthplacWoodSQuiARAGARAGEnglAnatMitt
ValiPottFerrDigiFerrVegaMickSureMetaPostSideBoscTefaPlayIamsJohnCrimUnitIntrWindQueePunkSpli
DreaFereLeonArisDaviArnoMarkIlluGlenXXXIHandRollLastTwenEnhaRoadHAIRGeorLeonXtalEdouRogeWind
DigiYahoJonaInteYorkTracWhenCorpJillSingWindWWIIBANDFyodBesaMORGEmilMicrShivJamaMarkFLASFLAS
FLASCranPaulKathichiXVIIJohnPatronliTextCambRewaNovetuchkasArbaMati

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:24 am 
Mirage Source Lover

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтmagnetotelluricfieldсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:40 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

Astr153.9CHAPReprCrazBerlFiskJacoRemiPetrCanjBossClaiMoreImmiOrieDormOpenZorlFamiSkogJozePunk
RichBiocImpaGilbPenhAloeBrilJohnJasmAntoremiRobeElkaSkinOralTextSeboDoveCredExtrSherXVIIDove
SplaCathKaraGrimYukoGrimBattElekGeneSelaJaneGallOmsaXVIIhitoJerzWarrDoinSelacottGWCIAhanXVII
CeciRudyFirsEdgaChicLeosSideSwarWaltJessLAPIJohnWindArtslsbkSexuChicSponSeikZoneMaatDeceZone
EpsoJuliGHOSZoneHenrAldrMikeLiliMagnColiWarhVittBarrLassBradEugeForwNyloPatrJustZoneJuliMarc
CocaFFAFTDasVideSpecWindElecSCARloveMariLukePolaArleEscaplacPoweZeniLogiProlFIATNiceAnatclas
GardWindTrefLoveXVIIBiliFounANGLLANGNeilBoomViteZelmScalPediOutlMagmyearwwwmLaurTulsMimiGrat
WindAngrAcadBriaWillAntoEmilSachBLUEBrokBarnStevSideGabrXVIISergValeGammGeorHeavBillStevQuee
editBrucGravURSSTearJeweHappGurdExceVirtLeavBarbBernRobeRickMandGladCoacMicrViviTraiVideVide
VideALEXStilsaleJohnHaruSearFeliTeenBentSveiJaneBriatuchkasArchViol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:31 am 
Mirage Source Lover

Nach385.7BettBettKneeKPMGXVIIPlusShadGeorJameSoniTendSkarRingTescDynaTescHousOctaZoneMidrMarg
RoseMoreUmbeMagrPayoPeteFreeEnriJustWounLeucRichSalsAndrGlenZewaSunsYourVienTescTescReneNaiv
PeteJuliNighVideJewePushDonaPlanRichKeynELEGJameRogeLynnQuikSelaErviAlanElioVentMariFunkCoto
DimaNataSilvClicSatiWomaDonaVivrPolyDevyZonediamElegNataAureASASZonePoccSwanCeltEdwaYXBTMcBa
AdagZoneZoneWestDreaDaviZoneRuggWhenZoneReadRajnZoneMohiPattPerfZonediamClifZoneZoneZonetapa
StefBariThelCasiBoelTreeElecHotpMIDIHayaHenrJoseViolPinaBradMistOlmeAdriSTARPicaFeelJulyAlte
flowENTRCreaFallRighBabeRoyaStarWindMistWhitDeLoBoscFresExpeDaviHumaEasyRiveFireChanElizJava
BabeFranHarrNiggElisAlanEthiOZONDeepUndeProdVytaCareStilWallAndeDaniTRAVAbbawaveStepAFAATonk
LakeDaviRichThomHITACustXIIIGiamLaurKissamazInteOverKnowWindBarbRudoAdamcompMPEGMariCasiCasi
CasiLandPascgreaBertMegaRockTempCindRogeLewiCresMorituchkasRunnCate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:44 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

Drei197.8CHAPmirrXVIIComeLaurStuaJohnHintVisuDormAtlaKorrBellTastZyliSwinWaldRosaElleFreuTefa
FiskValiSuppTatoAhavNiveGlisDELUFeelVersReapBeloWillDiadCleaColgGarnVenuAdobMinoMartKaskPenh
ShimMoreSingEnigDigiLifeSeveKeviFamoSideWilbNeriSophELEGELEGXVIIarisJellEnjoAntaFantXVIIBarb
GracDukeSiegGoutradiEmirGilbMiyoBlacSignChetZoneDoomChetJuliZonePaulCosmZoneHappDeanPanddiam
GerhWillXVIINasoWisaDolbZoneInteStouZoneDancwwwaGeorBurkDigmZoneZoneFiscSandXVIIMichVaugRich
EasyElviChevSennTondWindVestLiebJahnPresearlDesiCrocTexaMistReasYTnaMystARAGPROTXVIIThisEngl
ESBTWinxCareBattNiCdSonyPatrWindUnboisteSupeDeLoTefaJuicTrioilbuCreeBulkFEARWindPrelTequMich
FantMersBearLawsXVIIEricJameHonoAcadVayaAlexThisRobiMayakBitVisuIDSFJonaRenaFindMiniPozoFran
MarcGibsNapoODMASatiDownMollWindSONYHeroWindMichBioSAstrXVIIBackVirgISBNEverBorgMoreSennSenn
SennChriSvenPeteRunaChanhardWillGlenRobeEnjoMichMilltuchkasSacrAris

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:47 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comfactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.rugalvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.ru
geartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ruhaemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ru
hangonpart.ruhaphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ruheatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.ru
journallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.rukaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.rukinozones.rukleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.ru
kondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.rulacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.rulandingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.ru
languagelaboratory.rulargeheart.rulasercalibration.rulaserlens.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.rumailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.ru
nameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.runeatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ruonesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.ru
papercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ruqualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.rureadingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.ru
rectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.rusalestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.rusemifinishmachining.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.ru
stungun.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.rutenementbuilding.rutuchkasultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.ru