Free ORPG making software.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:38 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:09 pm 
Community Leader

Google Talk: johansson_tk@hotmail.com
Originally posted by Verrigan

Difficulty: Medium 3/5

This tutorial is designed to show you how to put a buffer system in your game. Why would you want to do that? Think about it. When a player connects, there are a series of messages sent to that player, and in Mirage, they are sent one right after the other.. If you have large maps, or you have a bunch of items/npcs/spells/etc., the server will send all that data to a user who is connecting.. For small games with small sized maps, this isn't a problem.. Lag is minimal. However, for games with tons of items, spells, etc., you will experience lag when another player connects.

Okay, now introduce a buffering (queue) system.. The server form has a timer that calls a subroutine that is solely responsible for dropping the size of the queue. How does the queue get filled? Instead of immediately sending any data to a player, you make the server add it to the queue. The server then hits the timer's interval, calls the subroutine to drop the queue, which sends messages to each user that is waiting for those messages. The subroutine will go through all connections, check the queue, and deliver messages to each user up to a predefined size limit for each user.. (This tutorial limits that size to 32K per user, per loop, but you can easily customize that limit.)

All that said, I must say that I have only tested this buffer system with one connection, so it might need some work, which is why I set the difficulty at 3.. Some of you might think the difficulty should be 5, but that's why I'm going to tell you this: BACKUP YOUR SERVER BEFORE ADDING THIS TUTORIAL.

Now, on with the tutorial..

Files to Modify
  • frmServer.frm
  • modGeneral.bas
  • modServerTCP.bas
  • modTypes.bas
*** In addition to the above files, you will need to change any line from:
Code:
Call CloseSocket(<whatever variable is used... Index, i, etc.>)
to:
Code:
QueueDisconnect(<same variable name... Index, i, etc.>) = True

frmServer.frm
FrmServer is where timers and sockets are stored.. I don't like to do this, but my tutorials are based on the already existing code in the Mirage Source, not redoing the whole thing.. :P So...

Add a timer to the form named: tmrStartMsgQueue with an interval of 100. Then, in the code of frmServer, add the following code:
Code:
Private Sub tmrStartMsgQueue_Timer()
  Call SendQueuedData
End Sub

modGeneral.bas
ModGeneral is where general stuff happens.. The server is initialized here, the AI is in here, etc.

Add the following code somewhere:
Code:
Sub SendQueuedData()
  Dim i As Integer, n As Long
  Dim TmpStr As String

For i = 1 To MAX_PLAYERS

TmpStr = ""
    With ConQueues(i)
      If Not .Lock Then
        If frmServer.Socket(i).State <> 7 Then
          .Lines = ""
        End If
        If Len(.Lines) = 0 And QueueDisconnect(i) = True Then
          Call CloseSocket(i)
          QueueDisconnect(i) = False
        Else
          If Len(.Lines) > 0 Then
             If Len(.Lines) < MAX_PACKETLEN Then
               TmpStr = .Lines
             Else
               TmpStr = Left(.Lines, MAX_PACKETLEN)
             End If
             .Lines = Right(.Lines, Len(.Lines) - Len(TmpStr))
          End If
        End If
        If Len(TmpStr) > 0 Then
          Call frmServer.Socket(i).SendData(TmpStr)
        End If
      End If
    End With
  Next
  DoEvents
End Sub

In Sub InitServer
After this code:
Code:
    ' Init all the player sockets
    For i = 1 To MAX_PLAYERS
        Call SetStatus("Initializing player array...")
        Call ClearPlayer(i)

Load frmServer.Socket(i)
add this code:
Code:
        ConQueues(i).Lines = "" 'Initialize the lines.

modServerTCP.bas
ModServerTCP handles the data being sent from/received to the server.

In Sub SendDataTo()
Change this code:
Code:
    If IsConnected(Index) Then
        frmServer.Socket(Index).SendData Data
        DoEvents
    End If
to this code:
Code:
    If IsConnected(Index) Then
        With ConQueues(Index)
          .Lock = True
          .Lines = .Lines & Data
          .Lock = False
        End With
        'DoEvents
    End If

modTypes.bas
ModTypes is where all the data types are stored, and other stuff...

Under this code:
Code:
Type GuildRec
    Name As String * NAME_LENGTH
    Founder As String * NAME_LENGTH
    Member(1 To MAX_GUILD_MEMBERS) As String * NAME_LENGTH
End Type
add this code:
Code:
Type ConDataQueue
  Lock As Boolean
  Lines As String
End Type

Public ConQueues(MAX_PLAYERS) As ConDataQueue
Public Const MAX_PACKETLEN As Long = 32768 'About 32K
Public QueueDisconnect(MAX_PLAYERS) As Boolean

This was tested in a vanilla Mirage Source 3.0.3. So, if you add this to your game, and I only tested this with one player connected.. (I don't have a bunch of users, cause I don't run a Mirage server.. :P) Anyways.. Just like any other tutorials on here... BACKUP YOUR SOURCE!!! I said it twice, now... Hopefully you will take my advice..

It is also possible that I failed to put something in here.. In the event that you find that I forgot something, or you tried this in a vanilla server and it didn't work.. Please post here, but I'm pretty sure I remembered everything.. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:09 pm 
Pro

Google Talk: steve.bluez@googlemail.com
Has anybody tested this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:22 pm 
Community Leader

Yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:24 pm 
Knowledgeable

I just want to throw in - this is a great idea, but not when using Winsock control. Reason for this is that the Winsock control has the Nagle Algorithm enabled by default, and I don't think you can turn it off.

The Nagle Algorithm is basically a packet buffer created for office programs where slight packet delays are hardly a problem. The Winsock control was designed for quickly made applications, not online games or anything, so I doubt turning it off was even a consideration in their design.

How it works is that it buffers your packets for about 300ms from the first call. So if you send a packet, it will take at most a bonus 300ms onto your network lag. Thats on top of everything else, not total. If you buffer yourself, you'll probably keep throwing your buffers into the same Nagle buffer, which means it'd have the exact same effect in the long run (almost) to just send a bunch of small packets.

You have to thank the Nagle algorithm, though, since if it wasn't there, any ORPG using the winsock control (Mirage, Elysium, etc) and without a buffer, would probably have a good 2-4kb/sec added on to the packet size just from headers. :wink:

By the way, TCP headers are 20 bytes, IPv4 headers are 20 bytes, so every packet you send is 40 bytes + the data.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:26 am 
Pro

Spodi, vbGORE uses the SOX method right? Which would you recommend added to MSE, the SOX method, or IOCP?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:04 am 
Knowledgeable

I really don't have a lot of IOCP experience, but I can't see many large benifits it'd make to a relatively small series of connections. SOX would be the easiest to use since it is designed to be enarly the exact same as Winsock, so the only change you have to make is using Shut instead of Close and not using an array on the control I believe. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:11 pm 
Community Leader

Spodi wrote:
I just want to throw in - this is a great idea, but not when using Winsock control. Reason for this is that the Winsock control has the Nagle Algorithm enabled by default, and I don't think you can turn it off.

The Nagle Algorithm is basically a packet buffer created for office programs where slight packet delays are hardly a problem. The Winsock control was designed for quickly made applications, not online games or anything, so I doubt turning it off was even a consideration in their design.

How it works is that it buffers your packets for about 300ms from the first call. So if you send a packet, it will take at most a bonus 300ms onto your network lag. Thats on top of everything else, not total. If you buffer yourself, you'll probably keep throwing your buffers into the same Nagle buffer, which means it'd have the exact same effect in the long run (almost) to just send a bunch of small packets.

You have to thank the Nagle algorithm, though, since if it wasn't there, any ORPG using the winsock control (Mirage, Elysium, etc) and without a buffer, would probably have a good 2-4kb/sec added on to the packet size just from headers. :wink:

By the way, TCP headers are 20 bytes, IPv4 headers are 20 bytes, so every packet you send is 40 bytes + the data.

So you think it's a bad idea to use this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:33 pm 
Regular

It shows people how packet buffers are created... I personally wouldnt use this tutorial but I got a good understanding of how I wanted mine to go by looking at this. This is good to learn from but I wouldnt go to any mesure on adding it into my engine or game.

A suitable packet buffer can be created for winsock users but I dont think this is it.

Still I belive/think it holds very good value for people to view and understand and create their own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:49 pm 
Submit-Happy

TheRealDamien wrote:
It shows people how packet buffers are created... I personally wouldnt use this tutorial but I got a good understanding of how I wanted mine to go by looking at this. This is good to learn from but I wouldnt go to any mesure on adding it into my engine or game.

A suitable packet buffer can be created for winsock users but I dont think this is it.

Still I belive/think it holds very good value for people to view and understand and create their own.

What are you on about..?

Do you use winsock? Do you use the winsock control?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:55 pm 
Regular

Kite wrote:
TheRealDamien wrote:

What are you on about..?

Do you use winsock? Do you use the winsock control?

Wooooow!!! Slow down there.

He needs to get Visual basic first. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:51 pm 
Knowledgeable

No William, not useless. With the Winsock control, yes (unless you can turn off Nagling in it, often referenced as NoDelay or something), but with SOX and probably IOCP (depending on what the socket library offers), it is absolutely priceless. When you get your packets crunched down a lot on a simple 2d ORPG (since as we all know, not a whole lot of data ever has to be transferred), the big worry becomes sending data as little as possible, and not as much what you are sending. Custom packet buffers give you so much more flexibility on how often you send data. And its fun to play with! Weeee!!! :D

So I'd just add a quick short explanation at the top on why you wouldn't want to use it with WinSock, but that with anything else where you can turn off Nagling, is simply just awesome. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:28 am 
Submit-Happy

Spodi wrote:
No William, not useless. With the Winsock control, yes (unless you can turn off Nagling in it, often referenced as NoDelay or something), but with SOX and probably IOCP (depending on what the socket library offers), it is absolutely priceless. When you get your packets crunched down a lot on a simple 2d ORPG (since as we all know, not a whole lot of data ever has to be transferred), the big worry becomes sending data as little as possible, and not as much what you are sending. Custom packet buffers give you so much more flexibility on how often you send data. And its fun to play with! Weeee!!! :D

So I'd just add a quick short explanation at the top on why you wouldn't want to use it with WinSock, but that with anything else where you can turn off Nagling, is simply just awesome. :wink:

That must give you such a massive headache.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:54 am 
Knowledgeable

Actually it isn't too bad. Organization is the main key. You just have to look at the packets you have, and think which ones would suffice having a slight delay, and which ones would be fine not coming until any other packets come. For example, if you get a message on new mail, you can just attach it to the next packet instead of letting it send on its own, since a few second delay wont make any difference (unless they are waiting next to the mailbox doing nothing, no one / thing is in the screen, and no one is talking). Its really fun to see what you can come up with. Of course, you wont be able to find as much as you want just looking at the packets. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:06 am 
Community Leader

Well since Im using IOCP it's probably a good idea to use the packet buffer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:41 am 
Pro

I'll have to try and add IOCP again then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:40 pm 
Knowledgeable

I just wanted to say these things:

1) This is still a good idea even with Nagling turned on.. It was mainly created to keep the people who login from lagging everyone else in game while everyone waited for that person to receive all the item/npc/etc packets. It also (for an added benefit) helps to keep others from lagging when a player has to download a map on a game that has (excessively) large maps.
2) It is possible to turn off the Nagling using API calls on the Winsock control by using the SocketHandle of whatever winsock object you're using.. (I posted this somewhere... Can't remember if it was on this forum or not.. maybe I'll find it and post a link.)

And for an added bonus, I just want to say that Spodi is a kick-ass programmer, and I want to know if you (Spodi) do your own graphics! :) (No, I'm not trying to be funny.)

[Edit]
Here's the link I mentioned in item #2 above: http://key2heaven.net/ms/forums/viewtop ... =8235#8235

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:35 pm 
Community Leader

If adding this, disable the nagling algorithm and also change the timer interval from 100 to 25.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:29 pm 
Submit-Happy

Ooh, gonna work on this once I finish converting to the API.

Lol @ Reece being naive.

"I'm sure Elysium fixed this"

lolagasm.

Jacob:
the 4 people that know how are lazy
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:33 am 
Persistant Poster

Apologies for necro..

But disabling the Nagle algorithm and implementing this Packet buffer

would reduce packet lag?

edit\
Why not use IOCP and packet buffering?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:20 pm 
Community Leader

Don't use IOCP and don't use a packet buffer.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:13 pm 
Pro

Google Talk: asrrin29@gmail.com
don't use IOCP? did something change since I've been gone?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:21 pm 
Persistant Poster

William wrote:
Don't use IOCP and don't use a packet buffer.

Because?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:41 pm 
Community Leader

IOCP is unstable, and the code verrigan provided isn't fully bug free. And IOCP is supposed to be used on a server with thousands of connections, a ms server is better without it. So just skip it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:23 pm 
Pro

Google Talk: asrrin29@gmail.com
I've had IOCP in my code for over a year and have never had any sort of hang ups with it. granted, I've not had more then 10 people online at a time, but unless I'm missing something there doesn't seem to be a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:53 pm 
Persistant Poster

Google Talk: hpmccloud@gmail.com
I took IOCP out of a game because it kept getting out of memory errors and players were always having account online problems and so on. The game has about 20 people on average.