C#/XNA

Discuss the potential future or ports of the engine.

C#/XNA

Postby Matt » Mon May 28, 2012 11:12 pm

I dunno how many people know about Reaper and his port of Mirage to C#/XNA. It's actually really good and for the most part, it's finished. Still needs some things, but can't have everything handed to you on a silver platter. ;)

http://www.miragexna.com

He released the source code for the client, server and the editor suite. Personally, I feel the editors should be in the client itself, but that's how I've always felt.
Matt
Persistant Poster
 
Posts: 701
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:15 pm
Google Talk: FAProductions

Re: C#/XNA

Postby William » Mon May 28, 2012 11:56 pm

This came to my attention two weeks ago or so. It looks pretty decent. Dunno if you can call it a port though, the only similarities to me is that his using the same variable names, and that he uses structs compared to the types in vb. He forgot the forms :P
I'm on Facebook!My Youtube Channel Send me an email
Image
User avatar
William
Community Leader
 
Posts: 2535
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 1:00 pm
Location: Sweden
Google Talk: johansson_tk@hotmail.com

Re: C#/XNA

Postby Matt » Mon May 28, 2012 11:59 pm

It's the same general principle of Mirage, though. And moving away from forms is actually a good thing. Lol.
Matt
Persistant Poster
 
Posts: 701
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:15 pm
Google Talk: FAProductions

Re: C#/XNA

Postby William » Tue May 29, 2012 12:09 am

Yeah, it might be a good thing. But after using mirage so long it's kinda hard/boring to adjust :P Either way should not be to hard to add forms to it. ^^
I'm on Facebook!My Youtube Channel Send me an email
Image
User avatar
William
Community Leader
 
Posts: 2535
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 1:00 pm
Location: Sweden
Google Talk: johansson_tk@hotmail.com

Re: C#/XNA

Postby JokeofWeek » Tue May 29, 2012 12:15 am

That's awesome, it looks quite advanced! I'll be checking it out tonight :)
Image
User avatar
JokeofWeek
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:59 pm

Re: C#/XNA

Postby William » Tue May 29, 2012 12:17 pm

I'm kinda curious to how the website and forum is integrated into one. Is that homemade or is there a forum base for it?
I'm on Facebook!My Youtube Channel Send me an email
Image
User avatar
William
Community Leader
 
Posts: 2535
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 1:00 pm
Location: Sweden
Google Talk: johansson_tk@hotmail.com

Re: C#/XNA

Postby Rian » Tue May 29, 2012 2:48 pm

I'm guessing some sort of CMS (maybe Drupal, or Joomla) with a forum plug-in/add-on.
I'm on Facebook! Google Plus My Youtube Channel My Steam Profile

Image
User avatar
Rian
Persistant Poster
 
Posts: 836
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 2:07 am
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Google Talk: rs.ruggles@gmail.com

Re: C#/XNA

Postby William » Tue May 29, 2012 3:23 pm

Rian wrote:I'm guessing some sort of CMS (maybe Drupal, or Joomla) with a forum plug-in/add-on.

It's a really nice forum layout and I never seen it before. Might use something similar for my next forum.
I'm on Facebook!My Youtube Channel Send me an email
Image
User avatar
William
Community Leader
 
Posts: 2535
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 1:00 pm
Location: Sweden
Google Talk: johansson_tk@hotmail.com

Re: C#/XNA

Postby Jacob » Tue May 29, 2012 3:27 pm

Whoever wrote this just made EVERYTHING public static, this is absolutely horrible coding practice. I can guess most of the people that would use it don't care about OOP and other more advanced techniques, but jesus this code is bad.
User avatar
Jacob
Pro
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:42 pm

Re: C#/XNA

Postby Lea » Tue May 29, 2012 3:55 pm

I wish we had a like button :lol:
User avatar
Lea
Community Leader
 
Posts: 1762
Joined: Sun May 28, 2006 10:29 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Google Talk: Darunada@gmail.com

Re: C#/XNA

Postby Matt » Tue May 29, 2012 4:04 pm

Lea wrote:I wish we had a like button :lol:


I know! I want one. >.< Look and see if there's a like or thumbs up mod for phpbb!
Matt
Persistant Poster
 
Posts: 701
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:15 pm
Google Talk: FAProductions

Re: C#/XNA

Postby Matt » Tue May 29, 2012 4:05 pm

Jacob wrote:Whoever wrote this just made EVERYTHING public static, this is absolutely horrible coding practice. I can guess most of the people that would use it don't care about OOP and other more advanced techniques, but jesus this code is bad.


It can always be fixed. It's a good base, though.
Matt
Persistant Poster
 
Posts: 701
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:15 pm
Google Talk: FAProductions

Re: C#/XNA

Postby William » Tue May 29, 2012 4:21 pm

The structs can be turned into classes without too much difficulty. Not everything needs to be perfect for something to be good. It's still a big step up from miragesource.
I'm on Facebook!My Youtube Channel Send me an email
Image
User avatar
William
Community Leader
 
Posts: 2535
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 1:00 pm
Location: Sweden
Google Talk: johansson_tk@hotmail.com

Re: C#/XNA

Postby Jacob » Tue May 29, 2012 4:46 pm

Matt wrote:
Jacob wrote:Whoever wrote this just made EVERYTHING public static, this is absolutely horrible coding practice. I can guess most of the people that would use it don't care about OOP and other more advanced techniques, but jesus this code is bad.


It can always be fixed. It's a good base, though.


William wrote:The structs can be turned into classes without too much difficulty. Not everything needs to be perfect for something to be good. It's still a big step up from miragesource.


Gonna disagree with both of you. It's exactly the same as mirage source, horrible coding examples for people to learn from.

Saying it needs to be perfect to start is wrong, but the codebase should be written using proper coding techniques. There seems to be zero point in moving it from VB6 to C# with that example of drool he's made. It can't be fixed without rewriting the whole thing.
User avatar
Jacob
Pro
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:42 pm

Re: C#/XNA

Postby Matt » Tue May 29, 2012 4:54 pm

Jacob wrote:
Matt wrote:
Jacob wrote:Whoever wrote this just made EVERYTHING public static, this is absolutely horrible coding practice. I can guess most of the people that would use it don't care about OOP and other more advanced techniques, but jesus this code is bad.


It can always be fixed. It's a good base, though.


William wrote:The structs can be turned into classes without too much difficulty. Not everything needs to be perfect for something to be good. It's still a big step up from miragesource.


Gonna disagree with both of you. It's exactly the same as mirage source, horrible coding examples for people to learn from.

Saying it needs to be perfect to start is wrong, but the codebase should be written using proper coding techniques. There seems to be zero point in moving it from VB6 to C# with that example of drool he's made. It can't be fixed without rewriting the whole thing.


So rewrite it. :P
Matt
Persistant Poster
 
Posts: 701
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:15 pm
Google Talk: FAProductions

Re: C#/XNA

Postby William » Tue May 29, 2012 4:58 pm

Matt wrote:So rewrite it. :P

Kinda my point also. You make a big speech of it being terrible, yet we will never see anything similar from you.
I'm on Facebook!My Youtube Channel Send me an email
Image
User avatar
William
Community Leader
 
Posts: 2535
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 1:00 pm
Location: Sweden
Google Talk: johansson_tk@hotmail.com

Re: C#/XNA

Postby Matt » Tue May 29, 2012 5:24 pm

William wrote:
Matt wrote:So rewrite it. :P

Kinda my point also. You make a big speech of it being terrible, yet we will never see anything similar from you.


Not true. He did a really good job on rewriting most of the code for Mirage Source, making it much more optimized and just an overall better engine.
Matt
Persistant Poster
 
Posts: 701
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:15 pm
Google Talk: FAProductions

Re: C#/XNA

Postby William » Tue May 29, 2012 5:28 pm

I was refering to something thats not Visual basic.
I'm on Facebook!My Youtube Channel Send me an email
Image
User avatar
William
Community Leader
 
Posts: 2535
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 1:00 pm
Location: Sweden
Google Talk: johansson_tk@hotmail.com

Re: C#/XNA

Postby Matt » Tue May 29, 2012 5:30 pm

Well, considering he's the only one I know of that actually uses C# on a daily basis, I'd be much more likely to take his advice and opinion on it. Lol.
Matt
Persistant Poster
 
Posts: 701
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:15 pm
Google Talk: FAProductions

Re: C#/XNA

Postby William » Tue May 29, 2012 5:41 pm

What? I think we have driften away from what we where talking about, now when you bring up advices and opinions. I just dont like the fact that your saying its horrible. I'm sure he did the best he could, and doubt we'd see a similar attempt from someone else. Anyway, I'm getting tired of defending his project when I dont even know the guy xD Conclusion: it runs, it works, its on a platform supported by windows.
I'm on Facebook!My Youtube Channel Send me an email
Image
User avatar
William
Community Leader
 
Posts: 2535
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 1:00 pm
Location: Sweden
Google Talk: johansson_tk@hotmail.com

Re: C#/XNA

Postby Matt » Tue May 29, 2012 5:57 pm

William wrote:What? I think we have driften away from what we where talking about, now when you bring up advices and opinions. I just dont like the fact that your saying its horrible. I'm sure he did the best he could, and doubt we'd see a similar attempt from someone else. Anyway, I'm getting tired of defending his project when I dont even know the guy xD Conclusion: it runs, it works, its on a platform supported by windows.


Yes, but what Jacob is saying, is that the kid didn't take advantage of the language. It's not programmed the best it could be. That's all.
Matt
Persistant Poster
 
Posts: 701
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:15 pm
Google Talk: FAProductions

Re: C#/XNA

Postby PandaCoder » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:27 am

Matt wrote:
William wrote:What? I think we have driften away from what we where talking about, now when you bring up advices and opinions. I just dont like the fact that your saying its horrible. I'm sure he did the best he could, and doubt we'd see a similar attempt from someone else. Anyway, I'm getting tired of defending his project when I dont even know the guy xD Conclusion: it runs, it works, its on a platform supported by windows.


Yes, but what Jacob is saying, is that the kid didn't take advantage of the language. It's not programmed the best it could be. That's all.

Exactly!

The only drops of OO blood in that entire project is the fact that it uses Lidgren, XNA and is coded in C#.
PandaCoder
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:18 am

Re: C#/XNA

Postby helladen » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:49 am

I agree with Jacob, the core of the engine should be a very high quality of work, and be something to base the rest of the source code on. Refactoring/recoding the entire core is not practical and better off just making your own engine from scratch.
Image
User avatar
helladen
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:44 am
Location: United States of America
Google Talk: Hellator@gmail.com


Return to Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron