Mirage Source

Free ORPG making software.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:23 pm 

Well hello there :)

Mirage Realms has gone through a few iterations over the years. It started as a solo project I was working on in an effort to *actually create and release something* using MS and by pinching features from all over the place I sorta managed to begin to get somewhere. Back in those days I couldn't code my way out of a paper bag and soon after Jacob joined and things started to take off.

Well, lots of RL stuff happened and Jacob and Egon took on the project by themselves, I became a Junior Java Developer and many years passed. Jacob and Egon tired of working with Visual Basic and moved on in different directions.. the project died.

Three years of industry Java experience and lots of RL shit later and I've decided to write my own game, this time from scratch using Java. I've written my own networking because I'm an idiot, implemented MySQL object persistence using a hibernate layer and got a shit tonne of things done that you can't screenshot and nobody cares about ;)

Anyway, about a month ago I got to the stage where you could create an account, login, create your characters and enter the realm.

I then got to work on a basic ingame UI that would 'do for the moment'. The issue here was primarily that OpenGL and Swing fucking hate each other, so after a lot of effort and faffing around, this eventually went into the bin.

(big image so just linked)
http://slick.javaunlimited.net/download/file.php?id=75

After looking into a 3rd party library called TWL and after lots of trial and error, I came up with a decent(ish) basic UI design that worked dynamically as you would expect. I implemented a basic chat system and started pulling everything together...

I did some research into another library called Slick and began working with it, the very first 'test' client was put together. The actual game itself was not networked at all at this point, and I had no idea how I was going to do any of the mapping or anything like that.

Lets fast forward to today as it was a very productive three weeks. There is now a map system in place (maps can be as big as 250x250 currently, I am looking to extend this later) that works as you would expect it, the server has map files and the client connects and downloads them as required. The 'engine' (I guess) is fully scrolling and is now completely networked up, you can run around and bump into other players as well as blocked tiles etc.

This weekend I have implemented the map switching system that stitches maps together much as MS did, if you run off the edge of a map that is linked to another one, you'll magically appear on the right hand side of the new map. Just this evening I have written some camera handling that ensures as you run up to the edge of a map the view stops scrolling, much tidier. Of course, along side the client and server development now exists the map editor.

Anyway, I hope this post has been informative and given you a catch-up as to what I have been doing for the last few months. A much fuller, more detailed and ongoing development blog can be found at www.mirage-realms.com should you be interested in the project :)

Cheers peeps,
Liam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:29 pm 
Community Leader

Google Talk: Darunada@gmail.com
Nice work. *Cheers

I was hoping someone would rewrite MS in a modern language for a long time. I was even close to doing it myself, but haww I have code to write that I'm paid for :)

I am a professional software developer in Salt Lake City, UT.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:12 pm 
Knowledgeable

Now that I am in uni I was hoping to do some type of game in C++ to help me understand the language more. But for the life of me I can't remember any. Good job fox nice to see you still going keep it up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:54 pm 
Community Leader

Google Talk: johansson_tk@hotmail.com
Good luck with the project.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:13 pm 

good to see you working on the project once more

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:08 pm 
Community Leader

Added you to the list: viewtopic.php?f=215&t=9842&p=83794#p83794

If anybody know a better word than off-spins, feel free to share it. I dont really like ports.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:17 pm 

William wrote:
Added you to the list: viewtopic.php?f=215&t=9842&p=83794#p83794

If anybody know a better word than off-spins, feel free to share it. I dont really like ports.

spinoff? xD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:13 pm 
Community Leader

Oh right, my english aint perfect.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:50 pm 
Community Leader

like ^

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:47 pm 

Just thought I'd post an update~

Lots of progress, the maps all stitch together nicely now and I've done quite a bit of work on the server logic and such... it's starting to look like... a game? o.0

Also been working on the mapeditor which you can download and play with on the website if your into that kind of thing ^^

Onwards!
Liam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:38 pm 

I've no idea if anyone bothers visiting here anymore (or cares) but I've finally sorted out a website for the project,

http://www.mirage-realms.com

:)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:51 pm 
Community Leader

I will check it out for sure. I still like these things a lot.

Will there be a test version anytime soon?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:33 am 

Looks amazing! I can't say I wasn't disappointed when I'd found out it was being done in Java. I've spent all these years with VB6, VB.net, objective-c.. :(

I'm sure this has been asked and it's clearly far too early to tell, but have you considered an Android client?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:12 pm 

And the lord said let there be NPC's... and it was good. And then he spoketh, let there be light!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:35 am 
Community Leader

that looks really great :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:59 am 
Persistant Poster

A core community test server will be going up at the end of January / start of February and will be staying up for the life of the development. The aim being that the community of lurkers currently keeping an eye on the game will login, see how awesome it is, break everything, then come and talk about it on the forums and tell me what I need to fix ;)

An android client is unfortunately out of the question, however I am treating this project as my kinda childhood fantasy and once it's released and out there, if it takes off I will be giving it my full attention, if not I'll either keep it running for the small community that plays it, sell it, or open source it. Should it not take off and just fall flat on its face (:() that would be the point where I turn to the android market and start looking into writing an MMO of the same style for handheld devices.

I've been keeping things up to date over on the blog if anyone's interested, I'm sure you all know the URL by now lol.

Cheers,
Liam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:58 pm 
Regular

I'm going to sign up when I get home, I don't know much about Java other than what I took in from a book or two. But I'll register and see what this is all about.

Good luck on your project!

Regards,
GP

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:42 pm 
Persistant Poster

Well the lighting stuff is now all fully implemented, and the interactive entity stuff has gone in too along with all the mouse input handling stuff so you can now hover over entities and they will display their name (as well as the hovered tile being lit up) and you can 'use' lights to turn them on and off. Wupee :P

Street disco, anyone?

EDIT: I just realised I never answered you dragoon. At this point I am not looking into releasing an android client for this particular project, however I am definitely going to be looking into starting to develop games for the android platform about half way into next year and I haven't ruled out progressing to an MMO.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:12 pm 
Community Leader

A disco is kinda lame, im 24. Can you add a RAVE :twisted:

Merry Christmas.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:09 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

dail327.9PERFBettWehrWindJackKangAlisVoudGuilDekoNeapOrieNatuOrieEuroConcRoseClicZonePierRond
AtlaTescSwisReadKiriJohnMavaFyodRobeNiveBabyIrenHenrLenoBrauErneNiveFreeMarkHeroTerrSwinCaud
LacaGranXIIIGirlDigiXVIIReliWindPateKingPierPeteOmsaQuikErnsRupeWarnAmbrNikiNikiMPEGLobsIATA
RythKingZachTheoJoseMaarSambZoneLakaWindMORGJuliRelaArtsGordSleuPainJunkZoneNHNCJonsComeZone
CasuGardZoneStopSwarZoneNHNCGreeBarbWindZoneAmbeCrisZoneZoneZoneXVIIFyodRobiVIIIAndrSpasRoma
BobbVillKingZOOMGoreFANTBoscAtomTakeMicrWindFollCallDefiParaPolaRefoFlipARAGARAGPENNBooktrac
editEditWindSquaLittSupeWindthinEntsVIIIeasysupeMikaCafePuriAndrPravKingOnlyNeilMoreMetaJewe
PeelStanArnoGabrProsRichMaurXVIIBAFTEditBusiPresOlgaDimiYounBestGarsmighAykrDeniFrantotaTode
HewiOffiEnCEHappAstrElviRicheBayEnglColuMarkLawrDjVuDomiJoycLouiJaneMicrAutoLaurMicrZOOMZOOM
ZOOMRameNiccWilhminuClayGibsLikeGaryHogaHubeEastJohntuchkasMORGGaya