Mirage Source

Free ORPG making software.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:21 pm 
Pro

Google Talk: steve.bluez@googlemail.com
Fortress Source is Mirage Source, with very very little updates, no added features (Worth talking about), a new interface and that's about it.

Why?

1. I want a new project to work on to keep my from getting bored of the other 2 projects.

2. It seems this community is no longer welcoming to new comers, and knocks just about almost every idea that isn't made by Robin and one of his merry men.

3. Do I need a 3?

Since Mirage Source is publically available, free, and allows it's users to do whatever the hell they want with it, that's exactly what I'm doing. Of course Mirage Source will be credited no doubt, but I just feel the need to open a new community which is more friendlier.

Sorry folks, I know this thread is gunna make people angry and hate me and all that bullsh*t but I have every right to start a new engine/game so this is what I'm doing.

Thanks.

Last edited by Xlithan on Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:29 pm 
Community Leader

Google Talk: Darunada@gmail.com
Activated my account, still says it's inactive.

I am a professional software developer in Salt Lake City, UT.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:35 pm 
Pro

great?

I support you in this, but can you give some examples to back up your facts?

Labmonkey gets mod, everybody loves him, people find out his code sucks, he gets demoted, then banned, then he makes an engine called Chaos Engine.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:41 pm 
Pro

hmmmmm...i like the idea i might just have to come help you out (if you need it).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:43 pm 
Pro

The forums are now active, which is really the main thing about Fortress Source, trying to develop a community that is friendly, wecloming, and encourages new ideas no matter how pointless they may seem.

Any idiots who are hateful, negative, and rude, will be banned :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:43 pm 
Community Leader

You must not read the forum that much, Labmonkey...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:51 pm 
Submit-Happy

Since when did I post ideas?

Jacob:
the 4 people that know how are lazy
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:55 pm 
Pro

I don't see the noobs not being welcomed, unless that was me. There is a lack of traffic, yes, but noob hating?

Labmonkey gets mod, everybody loves him, people find out his code sucks, he gets demoted, then banned, then he makes an engine called Chaos Engine.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:29 am 
Pro

Google Talk: asrrin29@gmail.com
noobs are NOT welcomed, at least in my book. Newbs on the other hand, are welcomed, encouraged, and appreciated when they learn things. If you come here expecting the community to hand you over code on a silver platter and never learn a thing, I personally don't want you here. If you come here, with an open mind, take constructive criticism, learn the community lingo and learn a thing or two about VB, then this community has done exactly what it was designed to do. There have been dozens of examples of people who have come in and made a name for themselves not because they are uber coding gods, but because they learned. Pbcrazy is a good example, he came in not knowing a damn thing. He is now a valuable member of this community, helps Shaded on pixel projects, and has actually learned a thing or two about VB. So if you want to go ahead and create a new community that is full of noobs expecting handouts, be my guest.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:57 am 
Pro

Sorry but I don't see it like that. If you have a tutorial section with copy/paste code, you're "offering code on a silver platter" anyway. If you don't want people here who just copy/paste code, get rid of the tutorial section.

But this isn't about Mirage Source, this about how Fortress Source is here to offer an alternative community.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:40 am 
Submit-Happy

GameBoy wrote:
Sorry but I don't see it like that. If you have a tutorial section with copy/paste code, you're "offering code on a silver platter" anyway. If you don't want people here who just copy/paste code, get rid of the tutorial section.

But this isn't about Mirage Source, this about how Fortress Source is here to offer an alternative community.

The tutorials are these so people can learn from them. I think I'm a good example of that. I learnt most of what I know from simply following tutorials, then using the same ideas to make my own code and then went on to read up some more complicated theories elsewhere.

This community is very good at helping with code. Most of us communicate through some sort of IM program.

We don't mind newbs. In fact I love them. Gives me something to do. I've spent countless hours helping people from Mirage and just because it doesn't happen on the forum doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I don't get how Fortress Source is going to be different. There are several communities out there that are designed for game developers who can't be arsed to learn to program, and they've got more done in their engines than you have.

Mirage is here so people can learn. If people don't want to learn, they're free to go to Elysium/Eclipse, where the communities are created for people who want to make things without programming the base first.

Jacob:
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:06 pm 
GameBoy wrote:
The forums are now active, which is really the main thing about Fortress Source, trying to develop a community that is friendly, wecloming, and encourages new ideas no matter how pointless they may seem.

Any idiots who are hateful, negative, and rude, will be banned :)

So you're banned, right?

A community run by YOU, is only gonna crumble. You're too much of an "I'm always right, do shit my way or get the fuck out" type person.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:04 pm 
Pro

@ Robin: Fortress Source isn't meant to be different in terms of the engine itself, only in terms of the community. I like Mirage Source very much, but I'm not a great fan of the community.

@ Perfekt: So don't sign up :) There's no reason for me to be banned here, I'm not hateful towards anybody (usually) and I still use the source code and show people what it can do (The Heretic Chronicles, PlayerRealms).

Look, I have just as much right to distribute a version of the source code, and to start up my own community, and to advertise it freely here without consent of the administrators, with full understanding that it could be frowned upon by members, removed without notice under any circumstances.

As far as I can see I'm not doing anything wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:25 pm 
Pro

nope your not wrong. And its fine that you do that.

just remember not to become like the other guy whose name started with x...

You seem really defense about all of this...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:53 pm 
Pro

Ehrm.. you havent really built up a community with Player Realms, whats the point of doing ANOTHER engine, and like its going to go better..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:02 pm 
Submit-Happy

GameBoy wrote:
@ Robin: Fortress Source isn't meant to be different in terms of the engine itself, only in terms of the community. I like Mirage Source very much, but I'm not a great fan of the community.

@ Perfekt: So don't sign up :) There's no reason for me to be banned here, I'm not hateful towards anybody (usually) and I still use the source code and show people what it can do (The Heretic Chronicles, PlayerRealms).

Look, I have just as much right to distribute a version of the source code, and to start up my own community, and to advertise it freely here without consent of the administrators, with full understanding that it could be frowned upon by members, removed without notice under any circumstances.

You're not doing anything against the rules, doesn't mean what you're doing isn't wrong. Feel free to try, but the source isn't going to go anywhere.

You don't have any of the tutorials to go with the source, and if you wanted to post them on your site you'd need to get permission from the original authors, most of which hardly ever come here anymore. You could probably catch a few of them on MSN though.

Jacob:
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:41 pm 
Persistant Poster

Sounds like a pointless waste of time to me :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:39 pm 
Community Leader

I hereby pledge to not bash you for your attempts.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:51 pm 
GameBoy wrote:

I meant from your forums.

"Any idiots who are hateful, negative, and rude, will be banned"

For being a hateful, negative and rude little idiot.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:11 pm 
Regular

Mithlomion wrote:
Ehrm.. you havent really built up a community with Player Realms, whats the point of doing ANOTHER engine, and like its going to go better..

I agree i don't see the point in working on two engine to be honest......

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:17 pm 
Pro

Fox, I do a lot of things that are a pointless waste of time, fills in the gaps when I'm not out working on bikes, or at work, or with my girlfriend, or setting up my business, or out with friends, but you're missing the point about Fortress Source.

PlayerRealms had over 1500 members, but I accidently deleted the database :? . The activity of the community dropped because of that, and because I haven't made an update in a while because of other commitments, but I'm sure it will pick up again once I start releasing the newer versions.

Mithlomion, there are quite a few people who have private messaged me about Fortress Source and how they'd prefer an alternative community with members they can get along with, and how they'd like to see Mirage Source in a different perspective.

Dave, why would you? :lol: everybody here wants to make a game or an engine, and everybody here starts with Mirage Source, how am I any different?

Fortress Source will have updates just like any other game or engine using Mirage Source, but it's initial release will have barely any changes from the standard base code from Mirage Source. It's not a pointless project, if you look at it this way: Rather than doing 101 updates, changes, additions to the source before releasing it, I'm going to release it in several versions every time a few updates have been made.

Get me?

PlayerRealms is closed source, specifically for non-programmers, that means anybody who knows nothing about Mirage Source, and doesn't want to program can use it to make games. So, it has to have a sh*t load of features initially so that people will use it.

Fortress Source is open source, so it doesn't HAVE to have loads and loads of updates all the time to please it's users as they can add things to it as they like. Fortress Source will (After a long period of time) be the equivilent to what PlayerRealms is now, but open source.
And of course, while PlayerRealms makes use of external files so that users can change things, Fortress Source will be specifically for game creation (Not engine creation) so anything that can be stored in the software itself (Like classes) will be, rather than in external files. This is one of the first changes planned for a future version, which will begin to steer Fortress Source in it's own direction.

PlayerRealms is closed source, dedicated to NON-PROGRAMMERS. Fortress Source is open source, dedicated to NOVICE PROGRAMMERS who want to make games.

You may ask, why not just release the PlayerRealms source? Well what would be the fun in that? I enjoy messing around with game code, so it'll be fun to start from the beginning and achieve something new.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:26 pm 
Pro

so this community is for easily insulted people?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:44 pm 
Pro

Why would you say that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:45 pm 
Pro

Bullshit

You say you had 1500 members, now you got 75 members thats posted 54 topics and 337 posts.. And the forums been active 5 months.

Ive had my share with whipes, if you actually ever had an active community, you'd have a quite active one now again.. Just look at OGCore..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:54 pm 
Pro

you can get 1500 members.... 1400 of em can have 0 posts.